Programs for Academic Access, Confidence, and Excellence: Academic Support Services for All Students
Academic support services are available for all Chatham students enrolled in undergraduate and graduate level courses. And these services are free to Chatham students!
- Tutoring is available for the majority of courses offered at Chatham.
- Peer tutors are recommended by faculty and trained by PACE staff to provide helpful assistance with course content.
- Students may receive up to two (2) hours of tutoring per week in each course in which they are enrolled.
- All tutoring services are free!
Supplemental Instruction (SI)
- A specialized form of tutoring that is targeted at traditionally challenging courses taught at Chatham, such as biology and chemistry.
- Supplemental Instruction Leaders are recommended by faculty and trained by PACE staff.
- Students check with their faculty to see when and where the SI sessions are being offered.
Academic skill-building/coaching is an especially useful strategy for students struggling with pervasive issues such as:
- Time management
- Attitude management
- Goal–setting, including motivation and planning
Students meet with the academic coach to set up appointments. Together, they identify issues and create and monitor a plan to modify the frustrating behaviors.
Specialized Writing Assistance
PACE offers writing assistance to meet the diverse needs of students at Chatham, from first-years to graduate students. Along with Chatham’s professional writing specialist, our corps of Graduate Writing Mentors offer one-on-one assistance with any phrase of the writing process. Writing assistance is available in the PACE writing lab by appointment or on a walk-in basis (first-come, first-served).
PACE also offers writing assistance online for students requesting help with online writing assignments.
Success Strategies Workshops
In cooperation with Chatham Counseling Services, PACE offers a series of workshops in success strategies each semester. Some common topics are:
- Studying In College
- Taking Great Classroom Notes
- Writing Strong Essay Exams
- Test Anxiety
- Stress Management